Monday, August 31, 2009

Tri-Training Update - 4 weeks to go!

This past week was rough as far as training. I was fighting a cold, had Miller duty and some major changes at work resulted in me getting in early and staying late, my back decided to spasm all weekend, so there was little time for training.

The tri is less than 4 weeks away; 27 days to be exact. I still am pretty sure I will be able to finish it, but have moments of doubt. On Wednesday we had a transition clinic hosted by my tri training group. I almost bailed on this but am so glad I didn't. We got there and had to set up our area like we would on the actual day. The founder of the group, Alyse Kelley-Jones, spoke to us about what to expect and answered all our questions, from whether we put on sunscreen before or after we get marked (before) to will there be food for our family and friends that come to watch us (yes, a coffee shop will be open, but might be a good idea to pack some stuff). Then we practiced our transitions. We stood in a field, only in what we are going to wear swimming, which for me is just a bathing suit, goggles and swim cap. She had us do 10 push ups and then spin around 10 times and then start running. The push ups and spinning were to help simulate how we will feel getting out of the pool after the swim. I ran to my area and the first thing I realized is that my clothing plan isn't going to work. My tri shorts are too tight and hard to get on when dry so I only got them partially on before I mounted my bike. They are going to be impossible when I am wet. I now understand why people wear tri-suits in the swim. Second clothing problem is socks. I am thinking of not wearing socks for the bike and putting them on for the run. Still thinking about that. Third problem area is gloves since putting them on while wet is going to be a challenge as well but after my last fall I know I need to wear them.

Good news is that I did get lots of compliments on my bike jersey I got from www.sheilamoon.com. I also enjoyed being able to slip into my shoes courtesy of my zip laces from TrySports. I bought a bucket to sit on but didn't actually use it this time. I was in such a hurry and on a bit of an adrenaline kick, so I am sure race day will be similar. I am looking forward to developing my own race day style.

Other than the transition clinic and some swimming, I really didn't get any other work outs in. Now that I am under 4 weeks this panics me. I know I will be able to catch up, but all of a sudden I am pretty worried. My tri group is hosting a mock tri the weekend of the 12th where we will actually do the entire tri, simulated like race day. I am so glad we are doing this since it will give me a gauge on how out of shape I am!

So my goal for this week is to heal my back and if that means all I do is warm water swimming, then so be it. I want to enter this race healthy so I will delay training hard core for a week if it means I will be back on track sooner. It really is amazing how quickly time is flying. As one lady said in the gym this morning, "I must be having a hell of a good time!"

No comments:

Post a Comment