Monday, January 23, 2012

No Whining Here - A POSITIVE Run Update

I've been so whiny lately, I thought I'd share an actual good run I had. Yesterday I ran 18 miles. Yep! 18 Miles!  I can hardly believe it when I think about it and it seems surreal when I think of where I was just two years ago.  18 Miles, Holy. Crap.  By the way, 18 miles is a very, very, very long way. 

Even better than that, I FEEL GREAT.  My quads are a little tight but that is because the route was much hillier than I am used to since the Greenway was flooded. There are so many things I am really happy about with this run and a couple of hurdles I needed to jump for my own sanity.
  • I ran by myself for the first 5 miles.  I got up, out the door and actually ran on my own.  It was cold, windy and a bit rainy, but I still did it.  And the really odd thing is that it was fun. Instead of running to music like I usually do, I tried stand up comedy. Besides looking a bit crazy literally laughing out loud, I loved it. Without the beat of music I was able to set my own pace that was comfortable to me. I was able to enjoy the comedy instead of  concentrating on every little ache and pain.  I listened to all of Greg Giraldo's latest (and last) album which was just hilarious. The miles went by so quickly because I wasn't paying any attention to the running.  Now I just need to find stand up I like! 
  • Cindy met me at mile 6 and ran 9 more with me.  I am constantly amazed by her friendship and willingness to see me cross the finish line.  She has this fantastic ability to nurture and support and tell me exactly what I need.  She pushes me when I need it but allows me to walk when I need that to. I was sad to leave her at mile 14.  Even though I only had 4 more miles to go, they seemed like the longest ones.  I had mapped my course so thought I had some play in the route so I cut short one part of the run.  I should have realized I can't do math when I run so ended up two blocks away from my house at mile 17.  I had a debate with myself; I could go home- 17 was close enough and still my longest run ever. I had a meeting that I was already late to so going home early would be good. I could still feel proud of my 17.  But at the same time I knew I needed to hit 18.  I saw my house and turned away from it, running through a neighborhood and back up around my house.  I sprinted the last half mile and felt elated as I hit 18, more that I made myself do an extra mile when I was so close to home.
  • I enjoyed the run.  From the alone time in the beginning, to the sprints down the hills, I really had a good time. There was even a part when I was with Cindy that I just let myself zone out and just run. I wasn't paying attention to my stride or the pounding; I was just on automatic. I actually wondered how far I could go if I just closed my eyes.  I felt like I was on a track and could keep going forever. (Don't worry, I didn't try this.  Want to try something fun though?  Stand on one leg and get your balance. Make sure you are on your strong leg, the one you feel most sturdy on.  Get your balance.  Now close your eyes.  Did you fall?  I did...and I have good balance!)
Now that I have that in writing, those seem like such small things but they made a huge difference to me. I NEEDED to enjoy the run and more importantly I needed to know I could motivate myself. Cindy and I were talking about how far we've come and how a 5K used to seem like such a big deal.  I still want to do a full ironman but right now that seems VERY hard. But if I keep this up, maybe not really.  My biggest concern honestly is that I am too lazy to train for it. Now I know that when it comes down to it, I can do it alone.  I have said from the very beginning that with training you can do anything but I have never believed that more than now. I am continually amazed at my body's ability to grow and become stronger.  A month ago I did 14 miles and felt horrible.  Yesterday I did 18 and feel great.  People who don't ever push themselves will never know what their body is capable of.  I am so glad I am using, pushing, growing and taking advantage of the incredibleness and randomness of my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment