Monday, January 30, 2012

I'd still rather be fat and fit...but why can't I look cute too? (A vent)

My first marathon is less than 3 weeks away and if you know me at all, you know that I am all about the outfit. Why do these things if you can't look cute while doing them?  So I found an absolutely adorable top and jacket. The color is PERFECT (that means it matches my shoes). I ordered an XL. The website says that is for women sized 10-12.  Now I usually like my things big, so usually get a 2XL, even though technically  an XL fits my body.   I ordered it, figuring the cuteness will override my normal self consciousness with having something fit so closely. It came today and I literally jumped up and down. I ran  to my office, shut the door and immediately tried to put it on. I could not even get the jacket over my shoulders. The tank is a maybe, I will have to go home and try it on just over my body instead of over work clothes, but already it doesn't look like it is going to fit.  I am so sad. I started shopping, this time looking for 2XL or Plus sized stuff.  My chouces are bland, with no style or shape. I am mad and sad and feeling bad.

"Regular" runners have options. They have super cute patterns and different styles.  "Plus Sized" runners have essentially 3 options: pink, blue or white shapeless tanks.  I found one pattern that looks like a couch from the 70s.  WHY can't I big a big runner that ALSO likes to look cute?  Why do manufacturers' assume that anyone over a certain size has no taste?  Do they think fashion sense descreases when waist size increases? 

I know I am not the stereotypical runner.  I know my body type will be in the minority when I line up at the start line in a few weeks.   BUT I WON'T BE THE ONLY LARGE GIRL THERE.   I get a chuckle when people that don't know me learn I am training for a marathon or that I want to do a half ironman this year. I can see their judgement cross their face. I ENJOY THAT.  Yes, I am a big girl. Yes I am a runner. I want to look cute as I cross the finish line. Most importantly, I HAVE MONEY TO SPEND.

So to all you retailers that only have cute athletic clothing for sizes under 12,  to quote my favorite line in Pretty Woman: "Big mistake. Huge."


No comments:

Post a Comment