Friday, January 1, 2010

You say you want a resolution....Well, you know. We all want to change the world....

So it's January 1, 2010 which means for many people it is time to create some New Year's Resolutions that they will never stick to. I know I have done that plenty of years. Maybe it is getting older, or maybe it is just the wine I had out with Sandy and Erin, but I really want to set some resolutions and make them happen.

I am not sure what the difference is between a goal and a resolution. Dictionary.com defines them as:

RESOLUTION: a resolve or determination: to make a firm resolution to do something. the act of resolving or determining upon an action or course of action, method, procedure, etc. the mental state or quality of being resolved or resolute; firmness of purpose.

GOAL: the result or achievement toward which effort is directed; aim; end.

Either way, I see them as things you decide to do, hopefully for a positive result.
So my goals/resolutions are:
Do three triathlons (Azalea in Wilmington, Ramblin Rose Rock Hill in July and Ramblin Rose in Huntersville in September.)

Do a half marathon - the Space Coast Half Marathon in Florida

Lose 20 pounds

Improve my running time. (I know I haven't been updating my rupdate, but work has been crazy. But I am proud to announce that on December 23, after 2 hours of sleep, I ran for 30 minutes straight. I felt great. My body wasn't sore at all and really, I could have kept running but my heart rate was getting a little high right at 30 minutes. But I feel like this is a HUGE improvement over the first time I tried. I am still extremely intimidated by the half marathon goal, but know I have the time and I just need to battle my mind to achieve this)

Pay off some debt. I hate having debt. Really hate it. This year we got a little (OK a lot) greedy and got all new floors, braces, went on some great trips and bought a vacation membership for life. So we have some debt and I'd like to get rid of that. I have it all out of spreadsheets, so now I just need to do it, and stop buying things. THAT is the hardest part!

Be a good friend to my friends and let them be good to me. This past year has really highlighted my need for friends. I tend to hold in a lot of things and then wonder why my friends don't ask about me and how I am doing/feeling/etc. So I decided this year I am going to allow them to be my friends too. I have some great ones, really I do. And in the last few months I have slowly let some in and it has made me feel better each time. So I am going to be a better friend and let my friends BE my friends to me.

Try to not drink so much soda. Until May of 2009 I didn't drink ANY soda at all. Now I have quite the addiction for a little bubbly.

Go back to low carb living. It sucks, but it works and my body really likes it better. I have more energy, my skin is better, I FEEL better. I know I need to listen to my body and my body is telling me no carbs. So starting Monday, we are doing a 2 week no carb diet to get rid of the cravings. Joe and I have both gained about 20 pounds and we will both feel better once we go no carb again. I don't know how this is going to work with my marathon training, but let me lose 20 pounds and I will figure that out then.

Continue working for the three non profits in my life right now: Tri It For Life, St. Jude and For Your Cure. Each of these are important to me and each need different things from me. I firmly believe my skill set can help and feel like I was called to do all these things for a reason.

Be the best wife, daughter, sister, friend I can be, right now. I will make sure everyone knows how I feel about them and concentrate on enjoying the now.

Work: Sometimes it is hard to work around a lot of sales people who have work as a priority. As you can tell from these goals, work isn't for me. That isn't to say that I don't want to do my best, I do. I have a new group of employees and I want to do my best training them and teaching them all I know. I want to help them grow while not being threatened. I want them to succeed, even if that ultimately means not working for me. I have one person who is smarter than he gives himself credit for and could literally do anything he wants to and one person who is crazy talented but thinks she isn't at all. I want them to believe in themselves, because from the outside looking it, it is really easy to see how great they are.

Joe and I are starting year 9 of our marriage and I think we are both more committed to each other than ever before. I hope to continue this year with love, understanding, compromise and laughter, and maybe a new addition to our family.

So that's about it...hardly anything really. I want to be a better person and to challenge all the people I Love to be better people. Quite simple.

I really do like the beginning of the year and I like setting goals. I like the promise of improvement and I like having them written down. Writing down goals is the #1 way to make sure they happen. Here are mine - written down for all the world to see. Here's to ought ten, twenty dime and a year of being better all around.

1 comment:

  1. Want a weight loss partner. I'm trying to loose 15. We could motivate each other like we did before Key West.

    ReplyDelete