Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The music of our lives

For Christmas the first year they dated, my friend Tim gave his now wife Jenn a CD of his favorite songs of the year; an annual mixed tape of sorts. He made this a tradition and now they have a collection of CDs chronicling not only what music they were in to, but what songs were hot in each year. This is one of those ideas that I think is brilliant and wish I had done it myself. Joe and I had such a fun time picking out songs for our wedding CD that I know that it would be a great treat to have a collection of our favorites over the last 17 years. Music has the power to trigger a memory so strong I am instantly taken back. The Blind Melon song "No Rain" always reminds me of the first time Joe and I really spent time together. After a night of talking we walked outside and I saw he drove a Fiero. I asked if I could take it for the night and he said yes. He had the Blind Melon CD in there and it blasted on with the ignition. I have always been a fan of Counting Crows, but hearing my favorite "Anna Begins" instantly takes me to our trip to New Orleans in 1995 and one specific moment, late at night on a long stretch of road in some state. We took this trip right before we broke up for a month, our only time apart in our 17years together. I can see the road vividly in my mind and I can feel the transitional melancholy of the time. I remember the first time I heard Buffett's "Boat Drinks" or ELO's "Mr. Blue Skies". Kelly Rowland sings "When Love Takes Over" and I am in my favorite gay bar in Key West. I just wish I could remember all my favorite songs and all the fun memories that those melodies stir up.

I never planned to work in radio and took this job as a "starter job" until I found something else. I never felt like I had a passion for radio like some people did. But I have realized I do have a passion for music and after 14 years here, I can't imagine not working in radio. I listen to the radio all day long while I work and will never clean or hang out alone without music on. I love when baby bands come and play in our green room at the station and I love hearing new music. I like a lot and am not very picky. I am amazed at people's ability to sing so even if I do not like a genre, I appreciate a good voice. Darius Rucker brought me to tears singing one of his country songs. Up and coming band Paper Tongues gave me goosebumps.

I am lucky to work with other people who have a passion for music and share hidden gems. One of my favorite parties of this past year was at Shelia's. We all brought a playlist of 10 songs, a bottle of wine and simply sat around, listened and shared stories on why that particular song was on our list. It was relaxing, bonding and learning, all piled into one or four bottles of wine.

Music has the power to create atmosphere, to bring back a memory, to inspire, to stir emotions. So I am going to start in a (different) blog, listing my favorite new songs of each month. I will update each month and at the end of the year, will have a collection of the year's best (hopefully). Then maybe in ten years I can look back at the songs and remember the good and the bad of 2010. So don't be surprised if you get a mixed tape from me for Christmas this year!

2 comments:

  1. Woo-hoo!! Likey tunage recommendations from Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have inspired me...I will also do the same! Can't wait for Pink Elephant Party Round 2

    ReplyDelete