Friday, January 29, 2010

Movie Review- Crazy Heart

Crazy Heart - (Jeff Bridges, Maggie Gyllenhaal) *****
I wasn't sure I wanted to see this movie and after Joe said he heard it was "the Wrestler" for country music, I wanted to see it even less. But after hearing all the Oscar buzz Bridges is getting, I wanted to see what the big deal was. I am so glad I did as this movie is amazing and worth the Oscar nominations. Yes, it was "The Wrestler" for country music, but Bridges is so believable as the main character, I actually wondered if he has gotten psychological help outside of the movie. He actually sings and one performance I felt the urge to clap because I felt like I was there. We were blessed with a small and very quiet crowd in the theater and many of the songs brought tears to my eyes (same guy who wrote them wrote the songs in "Oh Brother Where Art Thou"). Maggie Gyllenhaal is incredible in it and actually very pretty. They both take what could be very cliche roles and add realism to them so I was fully engaged. There is also a nod to Bridges other washed up, but hopeful and funny character, The Dude. Crazy Heart is a sad, sweet, tender movie that must be seen; well worth the Oscar acclaim.

No comments:

Post a Comment