Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Rupdate...Sorta

I am only going to post updates of my runs because that is the one area where I am most challenged. Plus, I think even I'd get bored if I posted about EVERY workout. So look for Rupdates on Tuesdays and one other time during the week.

I will mention this morning's swim...because it was FUN. I spent way more time than necessary coming up with a training session and we did a technique focused swim this morning. Some of the drills were new so felt very awkward, but it takes 4 weeks for practice to become form so I am not worried. After the drills I swam 250 meters, the length of the Ramblin Rose. The last 2 laps I swam as fast as I could. I was horribly out of breath when I finished, but it was great.

After I caught my breath I noticed the pool was surprisingly empty. I moved into another lane in the deep end to try to teach myself to flip over at the end of the lane. This is one skill that I really feel like I need before I will feel "professional". I have never been able to do a forward flip under water without holding my nose. This morning, I figured the worst thing that would happen was water in my nose, which happens so frequently now it isn't that big of a deal. So I tried and rolled with no water in my nose! I was so excited. I called my mom and she wanted to see too. So I did it again! Now I am just doing a forward somersault in the water, but still - it's an achievement for me and one step closer to the flip.

I left the pool giddy. It was a great swim. I challenged my self, learned I could do something new and walked away happy. Sure I also swallowed a ton of water, coughing so much I alarmed the lifeguard, barely swam 4 laps using a buoy that made me look like I couldn't even float and swam so crookedly I punched a strange man in the face. But I did a somersault underwater without holding my nose. Five times! It's all about attitude right? So I am choosing to laugh at all that other stuff and celebrate my achievement. Maybe next time I see some 7 year olds we can compare form!

No comments:

Post a Comment