Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Running Update aka Rupdate One

I read a great list of tips to keep motivated while running and the first one was to create a blog where you list your running times and then give it out to people so you feel pressure to run, since you know people will be looking for it. So for all my 4 readers, here are my details so you know when to call me on my laziness. I work out 6 days a week. Right now my schedule is Swim/Walk on Monday, Run and weight class Tuesday, Long Swim Wednesday, Pilates and weight class on Thursday, Kickboxing or walking on Friday, Zoomba and Walking on Saturday.

Yesterday I scaled back my training program and made it the same as my mom's. If I could figure out how to include a word document on here, I would attach it so you could see it. I did our first program the week after the tri and I was still on a tri-high so the plan was very aggressive. I had one schedule for my mom and then one for me but my plan didn't include the very basic fact that I hate running. This new schedule is better and slowly increases the amount of running while decreasing walking time. The end goal is the same - running 30 minutes straight (about 3 miles for me) on Christmas morning. Since we are both non-runners, I am not concentrating on pace at all at this point, just building cardiovascular endurance and getting my body used to the idea that I am running now.

This morning was my first running workout on the new schedule: run for 3 minutes, walk for 2 minutes, repeat. We use the treadmill which is not perfect since there is a 30 minute time limit, but it allows my mom and I to chat while running completely different paces. I am a slow runner, so my running is at 4.5 or 4.7 on the treadmill and walking is at 4.0. I also do all of this on an incline of 1. I am quite pleased to report several things:
I did not puke. (Mom, you were right about the heart rate)
I ran farther than I ever have.
I was always happy for a walk break; I was never dying for one.
There is a 30 min limit at the Y, otherwise I could have gone longer.
I did this without an ipod (still had TV).
My mom ran the entire time for every run break.
My body felt and feels pretty good.
Overall I am pretty excited about the potential. I still don't like running, but am excited to see my growth in this area. After this morning's run, I feel like doing a half marathon is pretty attainable and I know it will also improve my running time in my next tri. I also think my body will be happy that I finally picked up on the subtle clues it was sending and will be more aware of my heart rate and hopefully won't puke as much. (Yes Mom, you were right.) Realizing that I want my first half marathon to mean something and help a charity alleviated the pressure to be prepared in a brutally short (and ultimately unrealistic) amount of time. I read a great quote the other day: "Everything changed the day I understood that if I was to become a runner, I would have to run with the body I had*." This body is still not sure about running. But I am going to convince it, the slow way, the right way.
"Sweat cleanses from the inside. It comes from places a shower will never reach."*
I love this quote from famed runner and cardiologist Dr. George Sheehan. I have never felt a burst of energy from working out, but I have felt positive mental health changes. Working out has always kept me sane, but now it also makes me happy, giddy almost. I am sure Joe is both glad and annoyed to have me this way. We are laughing more, being silly, poking fun and tickling, laughing until tears come from our eyes. I am excited to improve, to plan my run and pick my big race. I still hate running and am hoping that will change. But until then, the effects of running are enough for me.
"Play is where life lives.**"
Let's play.

Rupdate Summary:
Date 10/27/09
Time: 30 minutes
2 minutes walking/3 minutes running
Incline 1.0
Total Run: 12 minutes at 4.5
Total Walk: 8 minutes at 4.0
Total Mileage: 2.23 miles
Puke: No
Breakfast: 2 pieces of PB toast, an hour before the run

*John Bingham, The Courage to Start
** Dr. George Sheehan

1 comment: