Sunday, September 27, 2009

Hello my name is Amy and I'm a Triathlete!


Holy crap I completed a triathlon! I am a TRIATHLETE! Whoo hoo!

I slept horribly last night after going to bed way too late and fighting a "destabilized" stomach. I woke up at 4am and was aware of every pain, tight muscle and ache. I took a long, hot shower then ate toast with peanut butter. Joe and I loaded up the car and away we went. We left the house at 5:30 and it was still raining so I was just a tad grumpy and nervous. We got up there right after 6 which was my plan, giving me 2 hours to get ready without feeling rushed. Being early was great: we got a fantastic parking space, got my timing chip without waiting and had my numbers marked on both arms front of one leg and my age on the back of the other in permanent marker. I set up my transition area in the mist and was all set up by 6:20. I was feeling good and just worried about the now heavy falling rain. The last hour and half FLEW by. I really don't know what we did but all of a sudden it was 7:45 and we were listening to the announcements, National Anthem and lining up in the pool area.

My start time was 8:26 so I was in the first group to go. All the things that I had worried about seemed to solve themselves and I got in the water feeling confident and excited. I knew I could do this. I started swimming.....and sucked. I don't know why but after lap 3 I was exhausted. I alternated freestyle to breast stroke to side stroke. I mentally calmed myself down, knowing I still had a run and a bike ride to come. I let people pass me, those "have fun, just finish" comments finally hitting home. I was going to have fun, damn it!

I finished my swim, still thinking it sucked (actual time was 7:06) and ran to my transition area. It was still misting a bit so getting into wet clothing really didn't matter. I sat on my beautiful bucket and really took my time getting ready, brushing my hair, blowing my nose and taking some sips of water. I got on my bike and was off, feeling good. I waved to Joe, smiled for the cameras, made it through the first turn, yelled thank you to all the volunteers, got mid way up the first hill and promptly puked all over my bike and arm. Luckily there was no one behind me. A couple more gags and I felt fine and continued on my way.

Of all the three areas the biking is the thing I enjoy the most. I crave it. I kept up my "have fun" attitude, thanking all the police and volunteers, cheering people as I passed them, high fiving other Tri team members. I made it up the horrible hill at the end, cleared into transition and puked. Yep, again. This time at least I had made it past the crowds and was off to the side. I was able to stop so I didn't hit my arm or bike. A volunteer came running over to ask if I needed medic but I just said "Nope, I'm a puker" and she walked away. I really need a shirt that says that! I had anticipated my bike time to be 45 minutes. It was actually 30!

My transition to running was also faster than I thought and my legs also felt stronger; I was able to run right from the start. I still walked a large majority of it, but I finished strong and felt incredible crossing the finish line. There was music, a man calling my name, pictures being taken and I got a necklace that says Swim Bike Run. I had tears in my eyes and really felt incredible. I am a triathlete. I was hoping to finish in two hours; my actual total time was one hour 15 minutes!

My mom's start time was almost an hour and 30 minutes after mine so as I was finishing the run, she was getting on the bike. I saw her off and then cheered on other runners. Sandy and Miller showed up which made me so happy to see them. I had told them to be there by 10 but since I finished early, they missed it, but hung around to cheer on "Nana Kathy". My mom's biggest challenge was the bike, so I grew anxious waiting for her. After 50 minutes she finally turned the corner and walked up the horrible hill at the end. She walked into transition and I knew she was in pain. I ran back, helped her change, fearing she might quit. But she didn't.

We started walking; her hematoma from her July fall still bothering her. I threw my jacket to Joe, hugged her and told her we could do it. This triathlon had a staggered start so people compete against the clock. A person might cross the finish line first, but have a slow overall time so someone crossing the finish line 456th might actually win. My mom's start time was so late and her bike ride was a bit long, so it ended up that she was one of the last 4 people. We walked the entire time, me obnoxiously making pointless chatter to keep her mind off the pain. At one point she hugged me and said "Thank you for doing this with me." I hugged her back and thanked HER for doing this with ME.

The last mile of the walk was brutal for her I could tell. I'd ask her if she was OK and she'd nod and say her leg hurt. She fought back tears at points but kept walking. As we rounded the bend to the last quarter of a mile, a group of Tri It members started cheering for us and actually joined the walk. We had a little pack, all of them cheering for her to keep going. At this point she was the last one...but she wasn't quitting. As we neared the finish lines the entire place was packed and everyone started screaming. All the Tri It members were there screaming and I looked at my mom and smiled. She looked at me and said "I'm going to finish". I grabbed her hand and we took the final steps across the finish line together as she too became a triathlete. The entire Tri It Team gathered around her, everyone hugging her and congratulating her. Sandy was crying, random volunteers were crying. It was absolutely the most wonderful feeling I have experienced.

We gathered for a group shot and then packed up our stuff and headed home. On the drive home Joe asked me what I thought. I can't explain why, but I love it. I'm hooked. Everything about it is SO not me. I don't like to walk barefoot outside, yet today I RAN across an entire parking lot. I hate being wet, but today I was soaked and got onto a bike, dripping wet and it didn't bother me. I HATE throwing up, yet today I did it twice, once all over myself and my bike. Normally that would totally freak me out but for some reason I just wiped it away and went on with things. I hate running, yet am encouraged with my opportunity to see visible growth results. I can't wait for my body to recover to start working out again. I want to register for a longer co-ed tri in March. I am hooked. I asked my mom as she finished if she would do it again and she said no. By the end of the awards ceremony it was "I don't think so". I just talked to her and she said "She'd think about it". So I give her another week and she will be in too.

The Ramblin' Rose is a women's only triathlon sprint and is perfect as a first time triathlon. I don't know if is the woman thing or the first timers thing, but I was blown away by the support. People in the neighborhood came out and cheered. There were so many people yelling support for race numbers. Every time I heard a "Great Job 276!" I perked up a bit. A group of people stayed and cheered on my mom as she finished the bike ride and the support at the end was surreal.

I have always felt like I have a strong support system but usually I think of Joe and my immediate family. The triathlon experience showed me what support really is and how vital it is. I am eternally grateful to Margaret for sending me fruit on Friday and starting the weekend off. Random people cheering made me smile every time. I was so happy that Sandy and Miller showed up, when they didn't need to and probably didn't enjoy it; it was pretty boring for spectators. I got home and had so many facebook postings wishing me luck, then telling me congrats. About an hour after we were home the doorbell rang and there was a care package from my friend Sarah Waterrose; roses and awesome home made chocolate chip cookies. I almost cried. My phone and email has been inundated with people thinking of me and congratulating me. I have rarely felt more loved in my life.

People keep asking how I feel and I think they are wondering if I am sore. So how do I feel? I feel empowered that I finished, thankful for encouragement of strangers, the Tri It Team (www.triitforlife.com), and my fabulous group of friends. Most of all I feel incredibly lucky to have shared this experience with my mom. In the movie of my life, this was a tear jerker, and even better than I could have imagined.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations first and foremost for being a Triathlete! Second congrats for being a proud puker ;)

    You are a fantastic & wonderful spirit and today with your strength and positive attitude not only did you accomplish your dreams & goals you sent ripples out into the universe for others to be inspired and to reach their dreams & goals.

    So proud of you Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy! I loved what you wrote! I can picture it like I was there. Thank you for sharing all of that.
    Your puking was making me laugh!
    I'm proud of you:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aside from the puking, now I don't feel so bad for talking you in to it!!! It IS fun and the support of the peeps is AMAZING at every turn. All ages, all sizes, all races...so bonding...unlike anything I have done before. Incredibly rewarding! Thank you for believing in yourself enough to sign up, to show up and and DO IT!!!! See? Told you to just have fun and finish!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this story. I really felt like I was right there with you, especially through the puking part. I can almost guarantee you I will never do a triathlon - I can barely walk up a flight ofstairs without complaining about it - but I'll definitely think of you when I'm buying the cheapie bike from Wal-Mart I have my eye on. Maybe you'll deign to ride bikes with me sometime.

    ReplyDelete