Monday, September 19, 2011

Fall TV - What I Will Watch

{EAV_BLOG_VER:2581bf21d4a71ce7} (Ignore this - it's an official code to validate my blog as real)
Ahhhh Fall TV. So much hope and promise. And like lambs to the slaughter, many will perish quickly. Here are my picks for Fall TV 2011. I hope at least some of them survive.

MondaysHow I Met Your Mother-8pm- CBS (premieres 9/17) This is season 7 for this brilliant sitcom and I am excited to see where the show goes. Season 6 was one of my favorite, although not necessarily one of its funniest. I've been with this show since the beginning and that, along with the writing and acting has made me genuinely care for these characters. The episode where Marshall's dad died was one of the most impactful shows I've seen in awhile. I sobbed! This show blends laughs with tears for a fantastic view of life. Watch it.
Terra Nova - 8pm-FOX-9/26- This looks good and I might try to watch it online. I'm too in love with HIMYM to jump off at this point. Update:  We watched a few of these and while I like Jason O'Mara, it just didn't hook me enough for us to stop HIMYM. 
Castle-10pm - ABC - 9/19 - I love Nathan Fillian and this is him at his charmingly smirky best.
The Playboy Club-10pm - NBC - 9/19 - Another possible web watch for me. It is also my pick for a quick cancel. Up against Castle and Hawaii 5-0, I just don't see it making it. Update:  Yep, first to be cancelled.

TuesdaysNew Girl-8pm - FOX - 9/20 - I have seen the pilot episode of this and while a little slow, has some truly laugh out loud lines. Zooey Deschanel is adorable and I am a huge fan of Damon Wayans Jr. Update: Well Fox apparently thought that just any black guy can be funny and swapped out Damon Wayans Jr.  He wasn't funny because he was black...he's just funny.  So without him, this show is kinda horrible.  We dropped it.
Ringer- 8pm- CW-9/13 - This is getting major hype as Buffy's return to TV (Sarah Michelle Gellar) but while I loved Buffy, that had very little to do with her and a lot to do with Joss Whedon's fantastic writing. CW is good about re-airing their shows, so I might try to catch it, but my heart won't be broken if I don't. Update: We tried watching this, but wow.  It's stupid.
Raising Hope - 9:30pm - FOX - 9/20 - One of the truly funny shows on TV, this is a must watch.
Unforgettable-10pm - CBS- 9/20 - File this under the "Shows I Don't Really Care About But Will Check Out Until I'm Bored. " Joe and I have a 3 episode rule - if it grabs us in 3 episodes we are in. If not....flip! Update: I forget even trying this show.
Covert Affairs - 10pm -USA - 11/1 - I watch this show because of Christopher Gorham. He's a great actor and a nice guy. Follow him on Twitter and you will see what I mean. @Christopher_Gorham

Wednesdays
Suburgatory -8:30pm- ABC - 9/28 - I really don't know anything about this, but based on the strength of ABC's sitcoms lately, I'm in for at least 3 episodes. Update: This is worth watching.  Jeremy Sisto is so likable, Alan Tudyk is so unlikable he's likable and the show has a Dead Like Me meets Veronica Mars feel to it.  We like it and since it already got picked up for a full year, apparently other people do too.
Modern Family- 9pm- ABC - 9/21 - The greatest sitcom on tv. Period.
Happy Endings- 9:30pm - ABC - 9/28-This little gem premiered late last year and I fell in love with the zany crew. You could say this is an updated Friends (There's a gay guy! Interracial couple!) But it's cute and gives you another chance to see Damon Wayan Jr. Update: Since it is now your ONLY chance to see Damon Wayans, Jr. you now must watch this.  Plus the show is jsut funny and has me in tears at least once a week. 
Revenge -10pm- ABC - 9/21 - Majorly hyped on billboards, TV and radio, I can almost guarantee this will be cancelled by October 15th. But I'll check it out, because there isn't anything else I watch at 10PM. Update: Deemed a chick show by Joe, I now watch this solo, but that's OK.  It is nice to have a guilty pleasure that doesn't take place in high school.  There are lots of likable characters on this show and each episode wraps nicely while also stringing along some drama for the weekly watchers. 

Thursdays
Community-8pm - NBC- 9/22 - I was late to the party with Community but it has grown on me for its quirky one-off episodes and Joel McHale's smarminess. There is lots of talk about this not making it this year, but I am rooting for it.
Parks and Recreation-8:30pm - NBC - 9/22- The best sitcom on TV that nobody watches. Period. It's funny, endearing, sweet and irreverent. Watch it.
Person of Interest-9pm- CBS - 9/22- Billionaire teams up with a presumed-dead CIA agent to prevent crimes. Sure, OK, I'll try it. It's got Jim Caviezel and Michael Emerson so I know all the LOST fans will be watching. Surely it can last 3 episodes. Update: This is a good show.  There's drama, intrigue, good characters and great writing. It's been a while since a really good drama...this is it. Check this out and then tell me you don't change some of the words you use when on a cell phone.
Prime Suspect-10pm - NBC - 9/22 - I really don't know how many NY detective shows can survive on TV, but this one stars Aidan Quinn, Kirk Acevedo and is based on a British show, so we will apply the 3 episode rule and see how it goes. Update: Eh.  It's OK...Joe is a fan.  I have slept through as many as I've watched. It's OK but not great.
Burn Notice -10pm -USA - 11/3 - Traditionally a summer show, this makes a rare fall appearance. I love this show, even if it is becoming incredibly formulaic.
Archer -10:30pm- FX - 9/15 - You can catch this show on reruns ALL. THE. TIME. But it is hysterically wrong and that makes it oh so funny.

Fridays
A Gifted Man-8pm- - 9/23 - I'm not really interested in the premise here, but I have a small crush on Pablo Schreiber (brother to Liev) and Patrick Wilson is reliable, so I will check it out. Update: I fast forwarded through the first few episodes and still knew exactly what was going on. Even my crush on Pablo Schrieber couldn't save my interest.  Dumped.
Supernatural-9pm - CW - 9/23 - Hot guys battle demons and otherworldly creatures. It sounds pretty basic, but underneath it is a story about family and loyalty and it's actually pretty funny. Last season was a little less than stellar and I am not sure what will happen to my favorite character Cass, but I've been in since the beginning and will watch until this show dies (and then brought back to life and then sent to hell only to have an angel bring it back but missing its soul.)

Saturdays are for catching up on Tivo!

Sundays
The Good Wife-9pm -CBS - 9/25- I love this show. The writing is good and the basic law show part of each episode is always engaging, creative and interesting. But the real draw for this show is the ongoing personal journeys of key characters including Julianna Marguilies' Alicia. Did she sleep with Will (Josh Charles)? Will she stay married to Peter (Chris Noth) for the success of his campaign? Can she and Kalinda ever get over Kalinda sleeping with Peter? Will Eli (Alan Cumming) find love? If it sounds like a teenage drama, it's not. It is compelling, emotional and you will fall in love with Alicia's strength and determination to do the best she can.
The Walking Dead-9pm - AMC- 10/16 - They show this on repeats so I don't have to choose between this and Good Wife. AMC makes really high quality shows and this is no exception. I am compelled to watch this post zombie-pocolypse show because of the characters. It's worth checking out.
Dexter-9pm - Showtime - 10/2 - Dexter is one of those rare shows that just keeps getting stronger, darker and better each season. America's most loved serial killer, I am so glad Dexter is back. New episodes are on Sunday but rerun throughout the week.
Pan Am-10pm - ABC - 9/25 - To be honest, I don't know if I even care about this show and I am generally not a fan of Christina Ricci, but it is a unique premise, so I will check it out. Yes, I'm a TV whore. Update: This is escapism at its finest. Not great, watchable and yet you won't be heartbroken if you miss it. Cancellation rumblings are swirling so catch it now before it's gone.
Homeland-10pm - Showtime - 10/2 - This is the show I am most excited about this fall. It has been filmed almost exclusively in Charlotte and I can't wait to watch the scenery. It also stars Damian Lewis, who I have loved ever since his brilliant show "Life" that was far too short lived. On top of that, the premise sounds intriguing, critics have been raving and the trailer has me hooked. I have high expectations for this and hope it lives up to them. Update: This along with Person of Interest, may be my TV shows of the fall season to judge you by.  In other words, if you don't like them, I might have a hard time liking you.  This is proving to be promblematic since Joe is not a huge fan of Homeland, and I really hate to divorce him. But for reals, this show is just great.  Acting is good, I still don't exactly know where they are going to go with the plot and if you liked Morena from Firefly or V, you get to see her naked.  A bunch. I can't wait to see this show each week, and if you want to be my friend, you better too.


I usually try to post updates about 3 weeks in so I will keep you posted. Til then, Happy Fall TV Premiere Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment