Friday, March 4, 2011

Electric Stair Lifts Only Cost $2,000

Cindy, my running and accountability partner, told me on Monday that she envied me for being active so soon in life. (She is in her early 50s, I am in my late 30s.) I laughed outright at her. But she insisted that it will improve my agility, flexibility and overall health as I age. I came in from our run (cut short due to stomach issues) and pulled out the ice pack for my knee. As I was stretching I noticed that the cyst on my Achilles tendon has gotten much bigger. This odd, not-toes-but-not-pad part of my foot feels like it is bruised, almost like I have a knuckle that needs to be cracked. How exactly will this make me in better shape when I am older?

I am very, very lucky that I got through my half marathon training with no significant injuries. My heel bothered me a bit, but it would come and go, so I didn't really worry that much about it. I iced regularly. Then in December during a run my knee started hurting, and didn't stop. I was sidelined for a month. I slowly started back running, but the knee has remained an issue. Turns out my heel pain was actually a cyst on my Achilles tendon that is so large now it sticks out over my shoe. I went to my knee doc on Tuesday; he ordered the dreaded MRI. He is worried I have cartilage damage but we are hoping for the "good" diagnosis of arthritis. He essentially said it is my decision: keep running or be able to climb stairs without pain.

It's no secret running is horrible on your body. During a run the foot strikes the ground 70-100 times per minute and the force exerted is up to three and a half times body weight. Think a 700 pound person could walk around without significant pain? Me neither, and yet that is what I am expecting from my body. Rationally, I know this, and yet I still secretly hoped I could train and run a marathon pain free.

I still don't think I like running, but to have my doc tell me that I should stop is a different matter. I don't want to STOP running...I just don't want it to hurt. I can't explain WHY I want to complete an Ironman, but the thought of not being able to even try is absolutely crushing to my spirit. I know I am jumping ahead; I haven't even gotten the MRI, much less the results. But this is not fun.

Sure there are benefits of running. I don't have to worry about bone density because it's a weight bearing exercise so is good for my bones. Cardiovascularly, you can't beat running. My doc told me "I could take a nap between your heart beats" (that's a good thing). I am a big fan of stretching, and flexibility makes life easier. Running is also fantastic for stress relief and generally I attribute running for keeping me sane. But right now I don't feel that way. I am worried, frustrated and in pain. So Cindy may be right, but I think I might start saving money for the electric stair climbers just in case she's not.

No comments:

Post a Comment