Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 - A Year In Review...and a Look Forward to 2011

I am a goal setter/planner by nature so the New Year appeals to me. Even so, last year was one of the first years that I took a hard look at what I wanted and set up some goals. So before I give my 2011 resolutions, I thought I’d follow up on 2010.

  • Do three triathlons Well, I REGISTERED for three...didn't do any and am completely OK with that. Money got in the way of one, I ended up working another as volunteer coordinator and the third was the same weekend as Joe's first endurance foray...the MS Ride. I wouldn't have missed Joe crossing the finish line for anything.
  • Do the Space Coast Half Marathon in Florida YEP. And it was easy!
  • Lose 20 pounds The bad thing about long runs is that I justify overeating. I just ran 8 miles; bring on the ice cream! So nope, didn't lose 20 pounds.
  • Improve my running time. First time I ran I managed a 16 minute mile. I am now down to a comfortable 11 minute mile.
  • Pay off some debt. If by pay off I meant get tons more, then I succeeded. Pretty sure that's not what I meant, so I suck.
  • Be a good friend to my friends and let them be good to me. I'm going to say yes on this one.
  • Try to not drink so much soda. With the help of Twitter and http://www.nofizzclt.org/, as of August 1, I am soda free. All I drink now is water with the occasional diet lemonade.
  • Go back to low carb living. I am still trying to figure out the nutrition aspect of being an endurance athlete. Bodies need carbs to perform, I just need to get better about choosing wise carbs.
  • Continue working for the three non profits in my life right now: Tri It For Life, St. Jude and For Your Cure. I am now on the board of Tri It For Life and have continued to fund raise for St. Jude. For Your Cure has taken a break due to some personal issues with founder Stephen Fogg (Despite chemo and the doc saying it wasn't possible, Foggy and Julie are expecting their first child! Take that you stupid cancer!)

So now for 2011. I really can’t explain it, but athletic goals lead the way. I have a full slate planned so far:

  • 6 mile run in Charleston (http://www.bridgerun.com/)
  • Half marathon in April (http://www.racefest.com/)
  • I am doing the swim portion of a relay at the Jetton Tri in May
  • 24 Hours of Booty with a goal of 100 miles this year (http://www.24hoursofbooty.com/)
  • The Nations Tri, International Distance Tri in DC (http://www.nationstri.com/)
  • MS Ride to Sunset Beach with Joe
  • Lose 30 pounds
  • Train for a marathon next May of 2012 (flyingpigmarathon.com)
  • Continue to push myself to do the uncomfortable things at work and persevere no matter the changes or challenges
  • Stop incurring debt and maybe pay some debt down
  • See my parents at least twice a month
  • Read at least 1 book a month

No comments:

Post a Comment