Monday, April 26, 2010

TV Picks- Summer Lovin!

Last year Erin got rid of cable during the summer because she thought there was "nothing on." GASP! Even though summer gets its share of crap stuff, there is plenty to check out to keep you from being active, reading or having a life.

Here are my picks for Summer 2010 TV Season as well as commentary. (Please note CBS had not released its lineup as of 4/26)

Monday
8pm
Lie to Me, FOX: This show is based on the real life research of Cal Lightman (played by Tim Roth). The story lines sometime mirror actual events and have a good mix of drama, humor and intelligent dialogue. Lightman studies lies and can tell who is lying and who is telling the truth. One of the neatest features is the collection of real world, famous"liars" demonstrating the small facial ticks that the episode has highlighted. It is neat to watch and I guarantee you will study people more after watching. Returns June 7th

9pm
The Good Guys, FOX: The previews for this look really, really stupid and not in a funny way. BUT, J'adore Bradley Whitford so will probably give it a shot. Begins June 7th

Last Comic Standing, NBC: The first years of this were great. Then it became less reality and more a showcase for the less than funny comedians the network wanted to promote. So if The Good Guys sucks, I might check this out just to see if by any chance in hell the "talent scouts" actually put the really funny people through. Returns June 7th

10pm
Persons Unknown, NBC: I don't know much about this other than the creator is the same guy that did The Usual Suspects, which I loved. Alan Ruck stars and those two facts are enough for me to give it our usual three tries. Begins June 7th

Tuesday
9pm

Warehouse 13, SyFy: So this is probably the summer programming of which most think; light, fluffy, low production budget, but to me it is also fun and a little cheesy. Returns July 13

Wednesday
8pm

So You Think You Can Dance, FOX: I have watched this religiously since day 1. Judge all you want, but this show makes me happy. Returns June 2nd

10pm
Happy Town, ABC: This is a new drama which I will give my standard 3 episode try. A sleepy town begins to have unexplined kidnappings. The cast is noteworthy, starring Steven Weber, Sam Neill, Frances Conroy and Dean Winters. It begins April 28, so I'd check it out and go from there. Begins April 28th

Thursday
9pm

SYTYCD Results Show, FOX: meh. Sometimes I skip this. I just want to know who got kicked off.

Burn Notice, USA: If you have not seen this show, you MUST. It is smart, funny, sexy and just a good time. If that recommendation doesn't sell you, I have one name for you: Bruce Campbell. I KNOW! This show is a must watch in my household. Returns June 3rd

10pm
Royal Pains, USA: If Burn Notice is a scoring home run, USA gets a double with Royal Pains....maybe a single. It is great Sunday afternoon couch TV. If you fall asleep while watching, no biggie. Returns June 3rd

Friday
9pm

Eureka, SyFy: My inner geek squealed when Shelia told me about this show starring hottie Colin Ferguson in a show about a town full of geniuses. Smart, hot boys? I'm in. Ferguson's character isn't a genius, but he is adorable and the show is a fun way to kill some time. If you haven't seen it, check out the Eureka marathon on SyFy on May 9th. Season 4 returns July 9th

10pm
Haven, SyFy: This is a new show starring Eric Balfour. I first remember Balfour from Six Feet Under but turns out he was in Kids Incorporated! and has worked steadily since 1991. I like him even though he oozes smarm, and I generally like SyFy's programming so will give this a 3 episode go. Begins July 9th.

Sunday
(yep, I skipped Saturday. Saturdays are for catching up on all the TV I TiVo'd that week, movies and UFC fights) Sunday is a big day and I have to think HBO is to blame for this, since Sunday was the day for cool new programs. Luckily most of these shows air multiple times a week so TiVo will help me catch them all.

9pm
Weeds, Showtime: Last year was good. Last year's cliff hanger was great. Hopefully this season will be fantastic. Returns August 16th.

The Gates, ABC: Not a lot of details on this one other than it is a drama about a sleepy mountain town (or is it?!) and a family that moves into a gated community there. Drama and crimes ensue. Begins June 20th

Rubicon, AMC: I like James Badge Dale (The Black Donnellys and The Pacific) and think the shows he picks are smart and edgy. So I will give this one a go: (from AMC's press release, April 2010) "Rubicon" is a conspiracy thriller set in a NYC-based government intelligence agency, API, where nothing is what it seems. The series focuses on a beleaguered analyst, Will Travers, who, faced with a shocking tragedy, begins to uncover clues that point to a complex and
sinister conspiracy. Begins August 1st

Ocho Cinco, VH1: This might be trash or it might be great TV. Either way I am sure it is going to office water cooler worthy, at least in the beginning. Begins July 11th

Next Food Network Star, Food Network: I have watched this off and on for a number of years. Sometimes I care, sometimes I don't. I'll check it out and see if I care this year. Returns June 6th

10pm
Big C, Showtime: This is a new show about a woman who has cancer. I loved Oliver Platt in Huff and am a recent fan of Gabourey Sidibe after SNL 4/24/10 so I will check this out. Begins August 16

Top Shot, History Channel: This is a new reality game show that highlights those crazy shots that have been told throughout the years; William Tell shooting an apple off his son's head, Annie Oakley using a mirror to shoot a rifle over her shoulder. I am by no means a gun girl (they make me cry) but I am amazed with creative marksmanship so I will check this out. Begins June 6th.

Leverage, TNT: I like Timothy Hutton and the rest of this cast is watchable enough. The stories are OK and I put this in our summer TiVo rotation just in case there isn't anything on. Sometimes we watch it, sometimes we don't. So if you are bored, check it out. If not, you aren't missing anything amazing. Returns June 20th

So there are my Summer 2010 television picks. As soon as the Fall Schedules are released I will do a Fall Picks (usually in May). Happy TV Watching!

No comments:

Post a Comment