Monday, April 5, 2010

Pink Elephant Party Part Two

Last year Shelia hosted the first Pink Elephant Party. Everyone brought a bottle of wine and a 10 song playlist. Incredibly simple and yet amazingly fun. I found a new wine I liked and a host of new songs.

Shelia's friend Krissie hosted the second PEP on Saturday. I have met Krissie a couple of times and really like her. She is down to earth, funny, loves music and runs. She is one of those easy people to get along with so it was easy to go to her house after only meeting her a handful of times. We also invited Charlie since he is one of the most musically inclined people I know. I brought the only wine I have ever bought for taste, Evolution (usually I'm a cool label kinda gal).

I had another great night and I can't really explain why this is turning into my perfect way to spend a night. We just sat around and ate (Krissie made far too much, but completely delicious food) and talked about the songs we brought, our opinions on others' songs and just life in general. I learned about some great bands, listened to some fantastically talented people and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Joe and and I are hosting the next one. I hope that Charlie comes again and I hope everyone feels as comfortable in our home as I did in Krissie's.

In case you were wondering, here are the songs I brought with some brief notes as to why:
  1. Kingdom of Rust - The Doves- One of the prettiest songs ever. They add notes as the songs moves along and it is just a gorgeous compilation.
  2. Soul Meets Body - Death Cab for Cutie - I am a late adopter, but huge fan of Death Cab. This is one of many of my favorites by them, and really, they have little I do not love.
  3. She's Got You High - Mumm-Ra - This was featured on the 500 Days of Summer soundtrack (see the movie if you haven't) and while Tender Trap's Sweet Disposition is getting A LOT of play, I think Mumm-Ra's song is by far the best song on the album. It is poppy, happy and a GREAT song for driving with the windows down and the volume up.
  4. Razor-Foo Fighters - This is the only Foo Fighters song I like and I heard it first in the movie Catch and Release starring Timothy Olyphant. As Charlie pointed out, yes, I love soundtracks. I am very aware of the music in a movie and it can make or break a film for me. I will also go see a movie that merely looks OK if the song in the preview is great.
  5. 5 Years Time - Noah and the Whale - I am going through a pretty heavy British Pop phase right now and this headbopper is a perfect example of that. It makes me smile and think of being on a beach.
  6. F**k You - Lilly Allen - I love Lilly Allen. This song's juxtaposition of cruel lyrics and cheery melody make me smile and generally want to hug her.
  7. I am Not a Robot - Marina and the Diamonds - She has a catchy song about how horrible America and Hollywood is, and despite the message, the tune stuck around in my head. This is a better message, just as infectious sound.
  8. What's It In For - AVI Buffalo - These kids were apparently the stars of SXSW this year. This song somehow manages to take a slightly irritating lead singer's voice and a slightly annoying music bed and combine them into a song that is quite perfect and makes me want to listen over and over again. Hopefully they won't break up and we'll get more from them.
  9. The High Road - Broken Bells - This is the lead singer from The Shins so it's not a surprise that I like them. I bought the entire CD, instead of just one song, and I have been listening to it nonstop. It's great.
  10. The Seed - The Roots and Cody Chestnutt - I followed Edward Norton when he ran the NY Marathon to raise awareness for the Maasai people. He published his running playlist and this song grabbed me and I bought it immediately.
I am mostly a pretty song person and rarely do the lyrics matter or jump out, or do I even hear them correctly. Shelia is completely a lyrics person; Joe is stuck in the 90s, Krissie is the new band showcaser and Charlie is an eclectic melomane. Together, we were a pretty successful night.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait for the next one! Love that you have so much fun as I do too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so great having you guys here! The PEP is one of my favorite things, too! Def. looking forward to the Burroughs edition!

    ReplyDelete