Friday, September 6, 2013

Music Update...from June - July and August

A few weekends ago I had a spend the night party with my friend Cara. I've been friends with her since 7th grade, when we bonded over silly teachers, bad puns and growing pains.  We've stayed in touch over the years and states and I was thrilled when she and her husband moved to Charlotte in 2001.  We've just gotten closer, proving that immature humor never goes out of style!  So on a Saturday night we each dragged out the old diaries and photo albums and had a blast reading what 14 year old us deemed important. There were lots of comments about boys ("When I danced with George our stomachs touched and it felt WEIRD"") but the thing I thought was the funniest was that every diary had a section where I listed all the songs I liked.  Nice to see that I haven't changed all that much,  though thankfully my taste has!

Work has been crazy, so here are my favorites from June - August.  When I get a chance I might list my favorites from when I was 15 so you can appreciate musical growth.

Land of the Gathering by The Ceremonies - Just a feel good, fun to listen to song.
Alive by Empire of the Sun- Toe tapping song, really funky video.
Afraid by The Neighbourhood - I continue to love these guys and am so glad I got to see them in person.
Royals by Lorde - This 16 year old New Zealand girl may be my favorite new artist in a long time.  I got my hands on 6 more of her songs and love all of them.  This was the first to hit mainstream US and the lyrics make me happy.
The Love Club by Lorde - seriously love her.
Biting Down by Lorde
Tennis Court by Lorde. OK last one.  I promise.  I just like her voice and the lyrics.
Thunder Clatter by Wild Cub - Great song.  Love how it picks up as it goes along.
Summertime Sadness by Lana Del Ray - the Cedric Gervais remix -Still pretty sure I am one of 4 people who like Lana Del Ray, but I won't apologize for it at all!
Head on by Man Man - Sure I like the song but fell in love with this band called Man Man when I found out their twitter name is ManManBandBand.  Gotta love a sense of humor.  And really,"Hold onto your heart, even when your body's bitter"  Yes.  Their album comes out 9/10.  Buy it.
Lost Generation - Rizzle Kicks - I am a big fan of pretty much anything Rizzle Kicks does. It just sounds like summer to me.  #trend
High Hopes by Kodaline - This is an Irish band that I love for their hautingly sad sound.
All I Want - the song that introduced me to Kodaline.
Brand New Day - Kodaline, kinda happy.
Little Games by The Colourist - you may be familiar with this song from a Samsung commercial.  I like it anyway.
Awkward by Fildlar - this is very 80s punky to me, but the lyrics make me laugh "Didn't know I'm really good at making you feel awkward"."
Doing OK by Wretch 32 featuring Jacob Banks - Bet you are saying Wretch WHO?  It's a British rapper/MC/DJ.  I love the sweetness of this song's melody.
Grow Old With Me by Tom Odell - Yes I did feel like I was punched in the guy when I heard this kid was born two years before I graduated from high school.  But 1990 birth date aside, I love piano in a song and this is both sweet and dirty.  And I've always loved the Robert Browning poem that has this line in it "Grow Old with me, the best is yet to be."  It's my inner romantic coming out.
Flaws by Bastille - Been a big fan of Bastille since Pompeii hit, but again, my inner romantic loves the "all of your flaws and all my flaws lay there hand in hand" line.  Seems such a realistic picture of a love;  "there's a hole in my soul...can you fill it?"
Things We Lost in the Fire by Bastille - since I am singing the praises of Bastille, might as well continue with this haunting and sad song and sadder video.
Kids by Mikky Ekko - No, this is not another little British boy, though you might think that listening to this. He is American and his claim to fame til this point has been that he was in Rihanna's song Stay. which I also like.   
Hopeless Wanderer - Mumford and Sons- It seems like you either hate or love this band and I happen to love them. I love the sound, their voices, the words and the meaning. And then there is this video which features Jason Sudeikis, Jason Bateman, Ed Helms and Will Forte, which makes me love them even more!

Hope you enjoy the music.  I can't believe it is already September.  I need to start working on my Amy's Audibles list and this year is going to be another hard one. Music is trending in my favor.  LOVE!






1 comment:

  1. Summertime Sadness is on my Sept mix...really hated to find out it was her that sang it though

    ReplyDelete