Sunday, September 15, 2013

Fall TV...meh

Usually this is one of my favorite times of the year but I am some what underwhelmed by TV's offerings this fall. Maybe it is because Showtime and networks like USA and FX have produced such great shows all year long that fall TV isn't the breath of relief it used to be. But even with that, I am still sure I watch too much TV.  Thank goodness for Dish Network's Hopper!

Monday
8pm 
How I Met Your Mother - CBS - 9/23 - I have watched this since day 1 and even though the past few seasons have not been the best, I am committed to these characters and will watch this, the final season, where we FINALLY meet the mother. Update: I was recently asked "Haven't you grown out of that show?" Sorta, but I am two episodes in at got a little teary eyed at the last one...and that is why I still watch this show.
Almost Human - Fox - 11/4 - This new sci fi show features Michael Ealy as a law enforcement android who is partnered with a human to solve crimes.  I give this a 50/50 shot of making it, but I LOVE Ealy and have followed him since I first saw him in Sleeper Cell so will watch this and root for him.

9pm 
Sleepy Hollow - Fox - 9/16 - OK to be fair I will NOT be watching this.  It is getting a fair amount of positive hype, but I just don't care.  But in case you do, check it out. Update: I lied.  I watched this.  It was OK.  I watched two episodes and the guy who plays Ichabod is charming and funny, but I don't think I will seek it out on a regular basis.

10pm
Blacklist - NBC - 9/23 - I am a fan of James Spader but was initially turned off and thought this show was too close to Hannibal. I've now seen more and it is certainly intriguing and possibly the show I am most excited about seeing. Update: THIS IS SO GOOD.  By far my favorite show of the season.  James Spader is excellent in this role as smarmy, evil-but-you-like him.  There are long term twists and mysteries but each episode is a one and done which I like.  Just great all around. 

Tuesday
8pm
Marvel's Agents of SHIELD - ABC - 9/24 - Despite an obnoxiously long name and really no idea what this is about, it's JOSS WHEDON.  JOSS WHEDON.  I'd watch people sleeping if Joss Whedon was involved.  Update: Yep, Joss is great.  This is good.  It's all there - action, humor, great dialogue, special effects, so it is totally worth watching. It's a bit of a super hero Warehouse 13.   I don't LOVE it like I have with previous shows of his (or Blacklist), but I won't miss an episode.

8:30pm
Brooklyn Nine Nine - Fox - 9/17 - Do I think this will be good?  Nope.  Not at all.  But I like 25% of what Andy Sandberg does so I will give it a shot since my Hopper records more than one show. If it didn't, I wouldn't care if I missed this. Update: Surprise of the season, this is really funny.  It reminds me a lot of Parks and Rec, and has delivered solid shows so far.

9pm
Supernatural - CW - 10/8 - you know who else I'd watch sleeping?  Either of the Winchester boys or Cass. Watched this from the beginning, will watch til the end.

10pm
Lucky 7 - ABC - 9/24- I don't have high hopes for this show since it is getting virtually no publicity, but I am behind in Person of Interest so have an opening at 10.  This is about lottery winners and maybe it will make me never want to win. Update: I had good intentions to watch this show...but there is too much else on.  Haven't watched a single episode of this yet.

Wednesday
9pm
Tomorrow People - CW- 10/9 - If you are looking for comedies,  there is another season of Modern Family and new contender Rebel Wilson's Super Fun Night. But I am looking forward to another guilty pleasure, Tomorrow People, about a high school (I said guilty pleasure) that learns he has special powers like teleportation.  This is based off a 70s British hit,so I will watch, (and probably not tell anyone I do).

10pm
Top Chef - Bravo - 10/2 - After watching Masterchef this summer, my love of cooking shows is renewed,  I took a few years off from Top Chef but am looking forward to seeing the show in the new location setting of New Orleans.

Thursday (Or Hopper Appreciation Day)
8pm
Parks and Rec - NBC - 9/26 - The funniest show on TV.  Period. Update: Still good....so many funny lines in each episode, but with some key characters leaving, not sure how I feel about its future. But til then it is Lit-trally the best show on TV
Big Bang Theory - CBS - 9/26 - I was late to the Big Bang Bandwagon, but I like it.  Makes me laugh.

8:30pm
The Millers - CBS - 10/3 - I will watch this based on Will Arnett and Margo Martindale.  I have no idea what it is about but MARGO MARTINDALE.  That is all. Update: Only one episode in, but I really liked the pilot and that is hard to do. Margo Martindale is fantastic, Beau Bridges is a comedic surprise and I just love Wil Arnett.  There were a few laugh out loud moments for me and a solid "awwww" so I am in.

9pm
The Crazy Ones - CBS - 9/26 - Robin Williams and Sarah Michelle Geller team up as father daughter Ad exec team. Something about this quote about the show really hit home for me: "Dad worries he is becoming irrelevant while daughter fears her pop may be going off the rails." Update: Two episodes in and this is a solid OK.  They give Robin Williams a number of options to ad lib comedy and those parts are truly inspired. Sarah Michelle Geller plays a nice serious foil and is called Kitten by her dad, so yeah, I will watch this religiously.
Reign - CW - 10/17 - Been waiting for a Mary, Queen of Scots teen drama?  Yeah, me neither.  But I will check it out for at least 3 episodes since I am sure it will be very different than the rest of my TV watching.
White Collar - USA - 10/17 - I love Neal Caffrey but the relationship between he and Peter was the part I loved the most.  Season 5 begins with Peter in jail so I am not sure how much I am going to love this storyline.

9:30 
The Michael J Fox Show - NBC - 9/26 - How can you not want Michael J Fox to succeed?  This show parallels his life but promises to not ONLY be about Parkinson's. I have loved Fox when he has guest starred on The Good Wife and am rooting for him to do well.

10pm
Covert Affairs - USA - 10/7 - This show has been on this summer and it is getting increasingly far fetched, and that is saying something.  I love Auggie though because the actor that plays him personally tweeted me once (I know, it doesn't take much to impress me)  so will watch this until it becomes utterly unbearable.

Friday 
10pm 
Haven - SyFy - 9/13 - Yes, I am skipping Raising Hope, Enlisted and Shark Tank.  Sure if I am home and there is nothing else on, I might watch one of those. But mostly I don't care.  I DO care about Haven, which is creepy and sweet and odd and stars Eric Balfour, the hottest man with the longest face ever.  Add in Lucas Bryant and the show has some pretty awesome eye candy. Update: I am surprisingly hooked on Shark Tank and super geeky pleased when I see one of the products in real life. Haven is also really good this season with the addition of Colin Ferguson.

Sunday (I Love my Hoppa, part 2)
9pm
Revenge - ABC - 9/29 - Last season was decidedly eh, but this is truly brainless TV so I will watch for at least 3 episodes this season and see how it goes from there.Update: Yep....eh.  It's just OK. If I miss it, I won't miss it. 
Good Wife - CBS - 9/29 - Another show with a less than stellar 2012-13 season, but the last two episodes were strong and I was surprised by the cliff hanger of an ending. Still a bad season of this show is still better than many shows out there, so I will watch for sure! First episode reminded me of the strength of this show.  Not sure how they are going to stretch out the secret all season, but I still am a fan.
Homeland - Showtime - 9/29 - Filmed in Charlotte, I will watch this show forever, just to support local film industry. It helps immensely that the show is great, with suspense, intrigue and a never ending gut feeling that you don't quite know who is good and who is bad.  Also, Damian Lewis is hot.Update: Episode 1 was so good and we never saw Brody! I have confidence that any doubts that may have risen in season 2 will be immediately dispelled in season 3.
Shameless - Showtime - January 12 -Just when you think that Frank can't be any more deplorable, he hits a new low. When we left last season, my favorite character Jimmy was missing (or dead) and Frank did something noble.

10pm
Masters of Sex - Showtime - 9/29 - Showtime produces great shows so I am looking forward to this new offering about Masters and Johnson and the revolution of sexual ed. Update: I could not be a woman in the 50s. Episode 1 was interesting and I will keep watching, if anything to see where it goes.
House of Lies - Showtime - January 12 - I am intrigued by this show and the end of last season was sad and shocking with most everyone turning on Don Cheadle. I am not sure where they are going to go, but I will watch and find out!

10:30pm
Episodes - Showtime - January 12 - Hands down the funniest, smartest show you've never seen.  Can't wait til January!

No comments:

Post a Comment