Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Plant Your Own Flowers

I still remember my first break up when I was 18. I sat on the floor sorting cards at the Hallmark store where I was working, sobbing to Whitney Houston's "I'll Always Love You."  What an overdramatic slobbery mess I was!  My dear friend Mandy gave me this poem and it became my mantra to get over my heart ache. 

I recently pulled the poem up for a friend who is facing a heartbreak and read it again with fresh eyes. While I have always thought of it as "The Break Up Poem", I think it really should just be required reading for women in general.  This poem in many ways defines who I am; I plant my own garden.  Life throws you a lot of hits and you need to be able to navigate your way through all that crap and come out on the other side.  Relationships come and go, grow and change, whether that is a friendship or romantic relationship, how you handle that inevitability speaks volumes about your character. So whether you are facing a loss of love, a death of a loved one or are just a girl finding her way, read this poem and see it not as sad, but as strong, hopeful and happy.  Then plant your own garden and live.

Comes The Dawn - Author Unknown*
After awhile you learn the subtle difference
between holding a hand and chaining a soul.
And you learn that love doesn't mean leaning
And company isn't security. 
And you begin to understand that kisses aren't contracts
And presents are promises. 

After awhile you begin to accept your defeats
With your head up and your eyes open,
With the grace and maturity of a woman, not the grief of a child.
And you learn to build your roads on today
Because tomorrow's ground is too uncertain for plans
 And futures have a way of falling down in mid flight.

After awhile you learn that even sunshine burns if you get too much.
So you plant your own garden and decorate your own soul
 Instead of waiting for someone else to bring you flowers.
And you learn that
 You really can endure,
You really are strong,
And you do have worth.
You learn and you learn and
You learn, that with every good bye, comes the dawn.
 
 
 
*There is a lot of dispute who actually wrote this poem, most places attributing it to one of three people. If you are curious, just google "who wrote Comes The Dawn".  Since they all claim ownership, sometimes nicer than others, I prefer to leave it uncredited rather than falsely give someone credit they do not deserve.

 
 
 

 

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you finally read this poem as strong and hopeful. I hope your friend was able to read it the same way. Sometimes acknowledging that you, and only you, are in charge of your own garden is the hardest thing to do. :)

    ReplyDelete