Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2013 Goals, Predictions and Hopes Oh My

If two thousand one two (2012) was the year to get through, then two thousand one three is the year of me. I have always set year goals; I like having a plan and I like seeing that I can set a goal and achieve them.  So here are my resolutions for 2013:

  • Run the Rear in Gear 5K in March - My running partner that I love dearly lost her mom to colon cancer and I will run this in her memory.  It also serves as a gentle kick in my butt to get my rear in gear in my life. I need to get active.
  • Ride in 24 Hours of Booty in July - Last year I made an appearance at 24HOB but was still fighting a wicked case of jet lag after coming home from Ireland. It was not anything like it has been in year's past, but I want to change it this year. I will set up a tent and be there all night.  I will also ride 100 miles because I know I can. 
  • Run the Detroit Chevy Dealers International Half Marathon with Shelia in October- I can't believe I am going to say this, but I miss running.  Maybe not the ACT of running, but I miss the routine of it, I miss Cindy and Doreen and I miss who I was when I was running.  The Detroit marathon has a lot of appeal to me since you run into Canada.  I know I can do a half, and I think I'd like to try running with a pace team. I've got time to get back into shape, and will look forward to visiting Shelia in her new town.  But more than that, I am very proud of my running accomplishments, and want to get back to that me. As evidence, I just registered and broke into tears.  UGH.
  • Read more.  Really.  I got in the habit of watching TV and heading right to bed and I miss reading.  So I am going to read before bed...the goal is 30 minutes a night. 
  • Continue to pay off my debt, while saving for a kick ass 40th birthday year trip somewhere.  
OK those are the SMART goals, you know, Specific, measurable, actionable, realistic and timed. Here are my more esoteric goals.
  • Sleep more.  I need sleep.  I do not need TV.  I also do really well on a schedule, so I need to get on one. 
  • Eat better. I feel better and I know I need to. 
  • Stop worrying.  This time last year I would have said my life was as close to perfect that a person can reasonably expect to have. Then I had this huge bombshell dropped in my lap (or more accurately. email) and my life has been on a roller coaster ride since then. An unintended result is that I am unreasonably scared that something really bad is going to happen. I think  I CAN'T HANDLE ANYTHING ELSE, so please God, go easy on me.  Let's have a steady, boring year.  K?
  • Think about dating - to be clear, I just am going to think about it. Many, many, many people have expected me to be dating already, and I've had several offers. But here's the thing, I was in a relationship for 20 years.  I know how to do that. I am good at it, I don't need to worry about that.  I also know that I am pretty awesome and actually, I don't mind spending time by myself.  Please note that I did not say alone.  By myself.  I like me.  I think I am funny. I always want to watch the same thing I want to watch.  I like my taste.  I love my home.  I'm OK being on my couch.  I've done the relationship thing, now I think I'd like to try being on my own. I know some people can't be by themselves and must be in a relationship to define themselves or to make themselves happy. I'm not one of those people. I'm not saying I am never leaving my house (though Operation Holiday Hermit has been awesome), but I am perfectly happy being me.  
  • Have a home where my friends feel comfortable coming and hanging out.  I want to host parties; I want people to bring beer and hang out on my couch for hours talking. I want my friends to feel that my home is warm (though not literally, bring a blanket) and open to them all the time.  It might not be perfect, but it is perfect for me. 
So that's all.  You know, the usual.  Eat less, work out more, spend less, laugh more.  Should be easy...no?
Happy two thousand one three...the year of a happy, healthy, more of me, me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment