Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2012 Year In Review

Well 2012 certainly did not go as I expected.  There was considerable heart ache, sadness and lots and lots of tears.  But there were also some amazing times, travels and laughs that I never thought would happen.  Regardless, here is my 2012 resolution list and how I did against it:

  • Run a marathon: I'm proud to say I did this.  I didn't hate it and might even do it again.  Training was the hardest part and showed me that I can set a goal and stick to it...and I am capable of way more than I can even imagine. 
  • Finish a half ironman: Well this didn't happen.  Basically my life turned upside down on March 18 and I haven't quite righted it yet.  The ironman is one goal that didn't happen.  I felt really guilty about it for a long time and then I decided I needed to get through the year how ever I could make it.  Forget getting through an ironman, I needed to get up and go to work, and some days that was struggle enough.  Honestly I don't know if an ironman is in my life plan anymore. That is going to be a goal of mine in 2013, figuring out who this new me is and what I want to do.  I have no doubt I CAN do it, the question is if I want to do and if I have the right reasons for doing it. 
  • Read at least 24 books:  This didn't happen.  Again, life really became about surviving, so reading took a back seat.  I think I read 16 books.  
  • Lose 20 pounds: I highly recommend the divorce diet...I did lose 20 pounds.  But fat and happy is a cliche for a reason and as my stress level rounded out, so did my hips.  
  • Talk to my parents at least once a week: Well this one I can emphatically say I accomplished.  One of the highlights of this whole experience is living with my parents for 7 months.  I loved having that time with them and miss seeing them every day. One of my favorite memories will always be laying on my couch, my mom on hers and my dad on his, watching jeopardy and Saturday night lives.  (Loren. Sophia? no Loren. Sophia?)
  • Work on friendships and me with some dedicated girls weekends:Well the weekends didn't happen as I planned, but I can say that I developed some great girl friends. I spent a week with my bestie Margaret, spent two weeks in Ireland with new friends, and generally made a point of making new friends but keeping the old.  You know, one is silver and the other's gold. 
  • Rededicate myself to TIFL: Ha....this didn't happen.  I resigned in early May.  After having several stress related health concerns that had me undergo several MRIs, I needed to eliminate stress and Tri It was one of those.  So I resigned and honestly, it is one of the best decisions I have ever made. I am still very thankful for the organization and I don't think I could have gotten through this last year with out the skills and the friendships that I developed as part of Tri It. 
  • Continue to work on my marriage by supporting and loving Joe the best way I can.- Well, what can I say about this one.  I still love Joe.  I worked on our marriage and I supported him. I can honestly say that I gave our marriage every ounce of my being and tried to make it successful.  

So not at all what I expected when the year started.  But as I learned in Ireland, sometimes the most unplanned things can bring the most happiness and that is what I am working on for 2013.  

No comments:

Post a Comment