Sunday, November 21, 2010

This time next weekend....

My first half marathon is in 7 days. Six days, sixteen hours and 2 minutes to be exact. Am I ready? I have no idea. My running partner says I am. Most people who know me say I am. Yet I don't quite feel ready.

My longest run has been 10 miles. I did it twice - once was horrible and once was great. I wanted to do a little longer but my boss, who does endurance marathons and 50 mile runs, said that it was more important for me to go into the race with a positive feeling than to do a long run and feel worse. Realistically running 2 more miles isn't going to make that much of a difference. Yet I still wish I had run at least 11 miles.

I did a quick 5 miles this morning and will do an easy 2 on Tuesday. Today felt good on the first half. I was running quicker than normal and it was fun. The way back I felt OK. My pace was still fast (10:29 vs my usual 12:23) but my stomach was upset, my feet hurt and I just wanted to stop. At first 5 miles seemed so short but all of a sudden I couldn't imagine running any longer. That does not bode well.

I know I have trained, but have I done enough? I know I can walk it if I need to, but I really want to do well. I felt this way before the traithlon last year and in retrospect, that was easy. I am hoping that this time next week I feel the same way. I don't want to stop running...training my body has been easy compared to training my brain to stop worrying and enjoy my sucess.

No comments:

Post a Comment