Thursday, March 25, 2010

Movie Review - Hot Tub Time Machine is Totally RAD

Hot Tub Time Machine - (John Cusack, Rob Corddry, George McFly) *****
I don't think it is any secret to anyone who knows me that I love John Cusack. Ever since Lane Meyer stuck Q-tips in every facial orifice, I was hooked. That's not to say I have loved all his movies, but if I'm on the fence, Cusack will push me to the positive side. So I was pretty psyched to see the premiere of Hot Tub Time Machine and invited some of my best similarly humored friends. There was pressure for this movie to be funny and smart and great, and luckily, HTTM delivered. Not surprising, the premise is that three friends go back in time to 1986 using a Hot Tub Time Machine. Hilarity ensues as all three confront pivotal moments from that year. If you grew up in the 80s, this movie is for you. The neon, the hair, the music, even some actors are spot on '86. There are body fluid jokes, ironic jokes and just some plain old funny running gags involving dismemberment. Sure there are some slight issues if you pay attention or are good at math, but that's not what this is about.

Fantastically literal title aside, this movie is a love letter to the 80s and it had me at a too-quick-you-might-not-notice "I want my $2." This is one of those movies that had me laughing so hard my cheeks hurt, recalling lines days later and wanting to see it again, SOON. All my friends also loved it and I spent most social time yesterday talking about my favorite parts. It's not a question of IF I will see this movie again, it is WHEN. If you love the 80s and like to laugh, go see this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment